Posting for Beginners
The use of Astra and WordPress as a simming platform has only recently become a reality thanks to Jon Matterson of Bravo Fleet, but already the system is in use on several simulations, including the Templar herself. Astra combines the freedom of website creation within wordpress with the functionality and tools of simming software such as Nova and SMS and it does it all under one roof with little experience of coding required once the initial site is created.
The purpose of this walk through is to guide newbies to wordpress/Astra through the process of writing posts on the website.
Join the Site
The first step is simple; create a character and join the simm via the join link in the main menu. As always, try and include as much detail as possible to help the command staff make their decision. Once you have been accepted, you will receive an email with your login details and you will be able to do so.
When you receive your login details, you can log in using the link in the main menu. This will take you to your account Dashboard. It is here where you get access to all of the features for your account, including editing the details for your character.
The Basics of Posting
To begin any sort of contribution to the story, you need to click on Story Post in the dashboard and then go to “Add Story Post”. Then, follow these steps:
- Give the post a title.
- Select which story/mission the post should be attributed to.
- Fill in the time, date and location details if you know them – if not, check with the command staff.
- Add any/all characters involved in the post by adding new rows via the + sign at the end of the row.Once you add more characters than yourself, it becomes a Joint Post (JP) that any character/user assigned to it can add to.
- Follow the process for any NPC’s or any Non-Story Characters.
- Type out your story (or copy and paste from word etc.) and use the WYSIWYG editor to format it as required. Keep images and links limited, if any at all.
- Tag any users in the final box on the page to draw their attention to the post.
When to save, publish or preview?
It is always good to preview your post before you save or publish it. This way, you can see exactly what the finished product will look like when it appears on the website. This is invaluable for spotting mistakes that may otherwise go unnoticed.
If you, or any other character assigned to it, still want to add to the post at a later date, then it is best to save it by clicking “Save Draft”. If you are convinced the post is ready to be published, then feel free to hit publish.
Remember, if any post involves more than one user, this is classed as a Joint Post (JP). It is polite to check with all contributors/users involved before publishing a post.
That’s it, it is really that simple! Don’t forget, if you are having any trouble, contact your command staff.