The Galactica Class Battlestar was the first class of battlestar ever to be constructed by the Twelve Colonies. Twelve were initially constructed for the First Cylon War, each representing one of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol.
Several were destroyed during the war; the rest were being retired from active service slowly at the time of the Fall, presumably either to be scrapped or converted into museums. Few are seen in defense of the Twelve Colonies. During and after the war, more of the class were built until production was halted in favour of the Mercury Class.
- Class: Galactica-type Battlestar
- Role: Capital Ship and Carrier
- Duration: 75 years
- Time Between Refits: 15 years
- Time Between Resupply: 6 years
- Length: 1438.64 m (4720 ft)
- Width: 536.84 m (1762 ft)
- Height: 183.32 m (602 ft)
- Officers: 400
- Enlisted Crew: 2200
- Marines: 1500
- Emergency Capacity: 4,500
Maximum Speed: FTL Drive
- Ablative Armor: The hull is designed to deflect incoming weapons fire away from it when it connects with the outer surface.
- Reactive Armor: The hull is designed to ‘react’ to incoming hits when they connect, blowing specially designed panels of itself off to keep damage from scoring deep into the ship.
- Diffusion Field: The diffusion field is an energy field which when activated reduces the detectable electronic and energy signatures of the battlestar. Acting as a form of stealth technology, it is designed to help hide the battlestar from Cylon systems.
- Stealth Mode Operations: Stealth Mode is accomplished with the use of newly developed technology which allows the battlestar to become partially or wholly invisible to parts of the electromagnetic (EM) spectrum. Stealth Mode employs the use of several technologies to achieve this goal.
- Radar-absorbing dark paint, optical camouflage, specialized cooling systems which lower the outer hull temperatures in key areas (such as the engine housings) to minimize electromagnetic emissions (usually infrared), and other advancements in techniques to minimize EM emissions, and advancements in propulsion technology which in turn minimizes particle emissions from the battlestar’s sub-light and FTL drives. The use of specialized electronic equipment to jam and confuse remote sensing devices greatly aid in this process as well by further masking the ship from detection.
Defensive Weapon Systems
- 34 Primary Dual Kinetic Energy Weapons
- Location: Scattered horizontally along the hull and flight pods
- Crew: 2 (can be used by autopilot)
- Atmosphere Range: 50-1.5/3/6km
- Fire Arc:
- -4 front
- -4 right/front/rear
- -9 front/right/rear
- -2 front/right
- -2 rear/right
- -9 front/left/rear
- -2 front/left
- -2 rear/left
- Ammo: 200 (reloadable magazines)
- 550 Point-Defense Kinetic Energy Weapons
- Location: Scattered about the hull
- Fire Arc:
- -80 front
- -215 right
- -215 left
- -40 rear
Offensive Weapon Systems
- 16 Missile Launch Tubes
- Location: Mounted about the hull
- Fire Arc: “turret”
- Crew: 1 (bridge crew)
- -Conventional: 10 per tube, x3 in storage (480 total)
- -Nuclear: 1 per tube, x3 in storage (48 total)
- Rate of Fire: 1 (takes 1 round to reload each tube)
- 24 large anti-ship railgun turrets (mounting 2 guns apiece)
- These are mounted on the dorsal and ventral surfaces of the main hull and the ventral surface of the bow. The two guns on each turret fire in tandem.
- These large guns are able to use both flak ammunition and high-explosive anti-capital ship shells.
- Additionally, the guns are able to engage in coordinated barrage strategies, such as salvo (and presumably, volley) fire.
The ship has two large Flight Pods (port and starboard) where all Vipers and Raptors are housed and launched from. The flight pods are also capable of housing small civilian transports and vessels.
- 5 Viper Squadrons
- 8 Pilots and a Squadron Leader per squadron
- 2 Raptor Squadrons
- 4 pilots and 4 ECO's per squadron, including the Squadron Leader